Geoff Pye, BVSc, MSc, DACZM
Course Open: May 5-July 3, 2022
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Thursdays, May 12, 26, June 9, and 23, 2022; 7:00-9:00 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 8
RACE Category: 8 hours Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
Exotic animal surgery should be based on sound surgical principles that are adjusted to the needs of the individual exotic patient. Topics covered will be general principles and orthopedic, soft tissue, oncology, minimally invasive, and dental surgery in birds, small mammals, reptiles, and zoo animals. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand how to extrapolate general surgical principles from domestic animals to exotic animals.
- recognize and discuss the equipment available for use in exotic animal surgery.
- value the skills and knowledge that partnerships between exotic animals veterinarians and surgeons bring.
- realize that we have the technology and skills to surgical manage all sized animals, from the very small to the very large.
- discuss some of the more common surgeries of exotic animals.
Accreditation: This course is approved for 8 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians. (RACE 20-897345) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session May 12, 2022): General Principles of Exotic Animal Surgery
This week’s topics include general principles, including equipment, suture, magnification, and the partnership between exotic animal veterinarians and surgeons. **** BREAK - May 19, 2022 **** Week 2 (Real Time Session May 26, 2022): Orthopedic Surgery for Exotic Animals
This week’s topics include the general principles and hardware for orthopedic surgery for exotic animals with case reviews in birds, small mammals, reptiles, and zoo animals. **** BREAK - June 2, 2022 **** Week 3 (Real Time Session June 9, 2022): Soft Tissue Surgery for Exotic Animals
This week’s topics include soft tissue and oncology surgery for exotic animals with case reviews in birds, small mammals, reptiles, and zoo animals. **** BREAK - June 16, 2022 **** Week 4 (Real Time Session June 23, 2022): Minimally Invasive and Dental Surgery for Exotic Animals
This week’s topics include minimally invasive and dental surgery for exotic animals with case reviews in birds, small mammals, reptiles, and zoo animals. This week will include the management of abscesses in small mammals. Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Enrollment is closed.
Tuition: Member $184 ($166 early bird special if enrolled by April 21, 2022)
Non-Member $292 ($263 early bird special if enrolled by April 21, 2022)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on April 21, 2022 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357