Course Open: July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022
Total CE Credit: 4
RACE Category: 4 hours Non-Medical
Animals and people have been plagued with parasites since prehistoric times. The primary purpose of this course is to develop an understanding of canine and feline parasite life cycles, zoonosis, proper sample processing, evaluation, and identification of internal and external parasites of dogs and cats. Techniques to improve ova recovery, life cycles, microscopic and gross identification techniques will be covered. Diagnosis or treatment options will not be covered in this course.
- Explain the proper collection method for various parasitology samples.
- Recognize the equipment and tests utilized in identifying parasites .
- Develop standard operating procedures for processing parasitology samples.
- Differentiate between pseudoparasites and true parasites.
- Explain the lifecycles of common protozoal parasites of dogs and cats.
- Identify protozoal stages in parasitology samples.
- Recognize terminology specific to protozoal parasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with protozoal parasites.
- Explain the lifecycles of common nemotode parasites of dogs and cats.
- Identify nematodes stages in parasitology samples.
- Recognize terminology specific to nematode parasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with nematode parasites.
- Explain the lifecycles of common cestode and trematode parasites of dogs and cats.
- Identify cestode and trematode stages in parasitology samples.
- Recognize terminology specific to cestode and trematode parasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with cestode and trematode parasites.
- Identify common canine and feline ectoparasites .
- Recognize terminology specific to ectoparasites.
- Describe zoonotic risks associated with ectoparasites.
VSPN CE Course: This program has been approved by RACE for veterinary technicians/technologists.(20-847049) Course Agenda:
Segment 1: Introduction and Parasite Testing
Proper sample collectoin, equipment and tests utilized, and procedures for processing samples.
Canine and Feline Protozoans
Protozoan lifecycles and stages, identification, terminology and zoonotic risks of protozoa.
Canine and Feline Nematodes
Nematode lifecycles and stages, identification, terminology and zoonotic risks of nematode parasites.
Canine and Feline Cestodes and Trematodes
Cestode and trematode lifecycles and stages, identification, terminology and zoonotic risks of cestode and trematode parasites.
Canine and Feline Ectoparasites
Ectoparasite identification, terminology and zoonotic risks associated with ectoparasites.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on June 1, 2022 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357