Course Open: January 3, 2022 - December 31, 2022
Total CE Credit: 1
RACE Category: 1 hours Medical
Suture selection is a crucial and integral factor to ensuring successful surgical outcomes. Suture materials are considered surgical implants because they remain inside in the patient’s body upon discharge. Suture material choices must be based on the anticipated wound healing times and tissue types as well as considerations unique to each patient. Using the wrong suture material may lead to unintended consequences such as wound dehiscence, abscess formation or tissue reaction. This session will enable veterinary technicians to understand the basis for suture material selection and usage.
- Define properties of an ideal suture material.
- Describe the difference between absorbable and non-absorbable suture materials.
- Differentiate why one suture material may be chosen over another, based on patient and surgical wound variables.
- Identify various needle configurations and indications for each.
VSPN CE Course: Open to veterinary technicians/technologists and support staff.
“This program has been approved for 1 hour of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval."(22-42597) Course Agenda:
Segment 1: Suture Materials
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 1, 2022 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached.*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357